Page 1 Session 10 Poisons, Bites Stings

image21

Poison Facts

 Most poisoning accidents involve medicines, household products and cosmetics. Some poisoning agents can cause breathing difficulties - seek medical attention immediately.

More than 28,000 children receive treatment for poisoning, or suspected poisoning accidents every year.

​(Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)

image22

Recognition Of Poisoning

   

Should the child become unresponsive then you must conduct the primary assessment.

Some indicators may be present to inform you that a child may have poisoned themselves for example:

  • Empty container nearby ​
  • Vomit
  • Strong smell of chemical, alcohol
  • Other children may inform you.

Should the child be conscious then the following indicators may be present:

  • Pain in stomach
  • Impaired vision
  • Smell of fumes or chemicals
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Child may inform you of what they have taken.

Know Your Poisons

One of the most important things to establish if a child is poisoned is "information"

What has the child taken the emergency services will need to know this as it will assist them in the treatment of the child. The following information is also valuable:

  • When the substance was taken
  • Why was it taken (accidentally or deliberate)
  • How it was taken (Swallowed, Inhaled, injected)
  • How much was taken
  • Have they been sick
  • Details of the child, age, current medical conditions

Important!

Locate the container or bottle the substance was held in.

Treatment For Poisons

image23

  The General Rule:

  • ​Call 999/112
  • Inform the emergency services with all the information you know.
  • Ensure area is safe, i.e no gas or acids
  • Remove cause or child if required

Important!

In the event the child stops breathing you should perform CPR with a "FACE SHIELD"

Animal Bites

image24

 Any type of bite

1. Blood loss and extent of injury

2. Infection

Important!

image25

 A child has just been bitten badly on the face by a dog What do you do next?

  • Ensure there is no further danger
  • Shout for help, send helper for first aid kit
  • You must control blood loss
  • Gloves on
  • Direct pressure can be applied with hand once glove is on. "infection control"
  • Apply Sterile Dressing over the wound
  • Apply pressure
  • Look for additional wounds
  • Send helper to call 999/112

Ensure you treat the child for shock if necessary, be prepared if child goes unconscious. In the worse case be prepared for CPR management.

Wasp Stings

image26

 There are many types of stings from Nettles to poison Ivy, The Wasp and Bee sting are the most common sting. The Wasp tends not to deposit its sting, however it can be very painful 

and create further problems, (Anaphylaxis)


Bee Sting

image27

The Bee tend to leave a sting.How do I deal with a Bee sting?  

  • Reassure the child  
  • Take a blunt edge, such as credit card.  
  • Should you have lukewarm water near by, run sting under it for 30 seconds
  • As water is running, quickly swipe the sting with edge of the card.
  • Do this reasonably hard you only want to swipe once (remember the pain)  
  • You could cover the area with a dressing, however keep an eye on swelling.

Important!Should the child show swelling on the face and neck then call 999/112 (Anaphylaxis) 

Lyme Disease

The Tick- Lyme Disease

image28

 

The  early-stage Lyme disease develop a distinctive circular rash at the site of the tick bite, usually around three to 30 days after being bitten. This is known as erythema.

Lyme Disease Rash

The rash is often described as looking like a bull's-eye on a dart board. The affected area of skin will be red and the edges may feel slightly raised.

The size of the rash can vary significantly and it may expand over several days or weeks. Typically it's around 15cm (6 inches) across, but it can be much larger or smaller than this. Some children may develop several rashes in different parts of their body.

Some children with Lyme disease also experience flu-like symptoms in the early stages, such as tiredness (fatigue), muscle pain, joint pain, headaches, a high temperature (fever), chills and neck stiffness. 

Later symptoms
More serious symptoms may develop several weeks, months or even years later if Lyme disease is left untreated or is not treated early on. These can include:

pain and swelling in the joints (inflammatory arthritis)
problems affecting the nervous system – such as numbness and pain in your limbs, paralysis of your facial muscles, memory problems and difficulty concentrating
heart problems – such as inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis) or sac surrounding the heart (pericarditis), heart block and heart failure
inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord (meningitis) – which can cause a severe headache, a stiff neck and increased sensitivity to light

Important!

image29

Should you see the Lyme

Disease rash on a child they

must seek medical treatment.

Removing Ticks

image30

Children should be checked for ticks especially if they have been playing or sitting in wooded areas or they

have been with animals such as deer.

Tweezers or Tick removers can be used, in some cases smear the tick with Vaseline and the tick will come out.